Located along the beautiful coastal waters of Vancouver Island, Cermaq Canada Ltd. is a salmon farming company focused on operational excellence. With our skilled team, we strive for a high quality product achieved through sustainable aquaculture practices. Our award winning safety culture and opportunities to develop and grow within the company makes Cermaq a great place to build a career.
Cermaq Canada is currently looking to fill the permanent role of Assistant Site Manager based out of West Coast Operations in Tofino, BC.
As an Assistant Site Manager you will be responsible leading a team of technicians through all sea site activities from smolt entry through to harvest. Your objective will be to optimize production while maintaining operational standards and excellent fish health. You will play a critical role in growing healthy salmon in a sustainable manner. You will apply best practices in feeding techniques and use your analytical skills to collect data and report on the health of our fish. You get the chance to work with and live with a group of hardworking, dedicated employees.
Status: Permanent, full-time position based out of the West Coast
Shift: This is a camp-based position with 8 days on, 6 days off
Number of Direct Reports: Up to 6 employees
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
• Providing leadership, support and direction to your staff and seasite during the production cycle of your salt water site from smolt entry through to harvest to ensure that production remains within FCR and indirect cost targets.
• Under the supervision of your area manager you will be directing adjustments to the production schedule as needed due to changing market or performance issues where possible to maximize profits.
• Monitoring fish activity and conducting environmental monitoring and sampling activities to ensure proper fish welfare.
• Maintaining a clean, safe, and bio-secure site by performing simple maintenance and keeping a clean work site at all times, reporting requirements and maintaining equipment in optimal condition.
• Operating heavy machinery such as forklifts and boats
• You have previous education or work experience in aquaculture, leading a sea site, managing staff.
• A solid understanding of Cermaq Canada’s policies and procedures.
• One or more complete cycles of fish production including smolt entry, bloom season and havest.
• A safety-orientated mindset with proven problem solving, team work and interpersonal skills communication skills.
• Computer skills (MS Word/Excel) are an asset.
• You consider yourself a team player, get along great with others and are always looking to lend a hand
• You are dependable, work safely, and have a strong work ethic and positive attitude
Cermaq Canada values its employees and is committed to their growth and development. The company is able and willing to provide training for the right individual to grow within this role.
• Prerequisites to hiring include a physical fitness test, a criminal record check and reference checks
• This position is camp-based, transportation to Tofino is provided from Campbell River, Courtenay, Coombs, Port Alberni, and Ahousaht
• Only applicants who are legally allowed to work in Canada will be considered
HOW TO APPLY:
If your qualifications meet the application requirements and you would like to apply for this opportunity, please forward your resume and cover letter in person, by fax, or by e-mail, stating “Assistant Site Manager” in the subject line by December 29, 2017 to: Office: 203-919 Island Highway, Campbell River | Fax: 250-286-0042 | E-mail address below
Following the prerequisite checks, this position may be available to start immediately. Recruitment efforts for this position, including interviews, will take place throughout the job posting period.
For more information about this opportunity please visit our careers page at www.cermaq.ca.
Cermaq Canada is an equal opportunities employer who provides a workplace that is free of discrimination.