Located along the beautiful coastal waters of Vancouver Island, Cermaq Canada Ltd. is a salmon farming company focused on operational excellence. With our skilled team, we strive for a high quality product achieved through sustainable aquaculture practices. Our award winning safety culture and opportunities to develop and grow within the company makes Cermaq a great place to build a career.
Cermaq Canada is currently looking for a full-time Hatchery Husbandry Technician to join our freshwater team in Duncan, British Columbia. In your role as a Hatchery Husbandry Technician, you will be responsible for general hatchery husbandry operations including incubation, water quality monitoring, mortality removals, and smolt transfers.
Status: Full time permanent position.
Shift: 5 days on-shift and 2 days off (not camp based). Shift rotations may be a combination of day, afternoon and or graveyard shifts which may change depending on the seasonal activities.
Possible overtime may be required depending on business needs.
Benefits: Competitive wages and great benefits plan (including BC Medical Services Plan, extended health, dental, vision, AD&D, LTD, and a matching RRSP plan) after successful completion of probation.
• Knowledge and experience with salmon hatchery operations would be an asset.
• Preference given to applicants with a general knowledge of water quality monitoring in both recirculation and flow through technologies.
• Previous experience with fish transfers including bar grading, belt grading, splits internal movements and smolt transport is desirable.
• Understanding and adherence to hatchery biosecurity, procedures, and protocols.
• Positive attitude, good work ethic, and a willingness to work outdoors in various weather conditions.
• Proficient in MS Word and MS Excel.
• Prerequisites to hiring include a physical fitness assessment and criminal record check.
• The position may be required to work on-call shifts. Timely and reliable transportation will be required to travel to the hatchery to respond to alarm calls as needed, therefore preference will be given to candidates who live near Duncan, BC.
• Only applicants who are legally allowed to work in Canada will be considered.
How to Apply:
If your qualifications meet the application requirements and you would like to apply for this opportunity, please forward your resume and cover letter in person, by fax, or by e-mail, stating “Hatchery Husbandry Technician” in the subject line by December 29, 2017 to: Office: 203-919 Island Highway, Campbell River | Fax: 250-286-0042 | E-mail see below
Cermaq Canada is an equal opportunities employer who provides a workplace that is free of discrimination.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.