The Senior Aquaculture Technician will be responsible for helping with the day-to-day operation of the hatchery facilities at the Miramichi Salmon Conservation Centre. This involves the planning and execution of various jobs related to rearing fish. The Technician will also supervise co-op students, summer students, and seasonal employees, and will be a resource person for researchers that conduct experiments at the facility.
- Developing and implementing fish feeding plans
- Keeping tanks and facilities clean
- Removing mortalities in a timely fashion
- Monitoring growth and health of the fish
- Monitoring and adjusting for maximum water quality
- Maintaining accurate records of fish inventories and water quality parameters
- Treating fish for disease or to improve vigor
- Vaccinating fish (if required)
- Marking fish prior to release
- Lifting heavy buckets of fish/water or equipment
- Lifting 20kg feed bags
- Climbing up and down ladders and in and out of tanks
- Walking/standing for the duration of the work day
- Maintaining the alarm system
- Performing regularly scheduled maintenance/repairs on equipment and infrastructure
- General property maintenance (mowing grass, snow clearance, salting walkways)
- Organizing seasonal equipment in an efficient manner
- Maintaining work site and employee health and safety records
- Operating and troubleshooting electronic monitoring devices (i.e.: alarms, oxygen meters/probes, water quality testing kits, balances)
- Computer skills are essential (Microsoft Office, Excel, PowerPoint, Adobe, etc.) to record and analyze data and to produce reports
This is a full time position and requires working weekends and willingness to respond to emergency alarms in the off-hours. Working environments are sometimes dirty, wet, cold, and odorous. This position reports to the Assistant Manager.
The ideal candidate will possess the following:
- An aquaculture degree or diploma, or relevant training
- 2+ years of work experience in the aquaculture industry
- Being physically fit
- Superior knowledge of computers and Microsoft Office
- Organization skills and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
Only applicants selected for an interview will be contacted. Application deadline is February 25th, 2018 at midnight. Serious applicants only.